I have a problem... with Facebook.
More precisely, I have a problem with their applications, and people who use them. This morning I sign in to check for any new events or messages in my inbox and my Home page is flooded with results from quizzes that people have just taken. Is there a competition going on that I don't know about? Like, say, a free iPhone for whoever can take the most number of quizzes over one night?
Honestly, who would want to know what kind of guy you are SUPPOSED to date? Or, like, which COLOR you are? (Not even being a logical adjective in the first place.) Or, the epitome of "facts" people would rather not know - the day of the week you'll be expiring say 60 years into the future.
I mean, how obvious can they be - trying to get everyone to fit into "ideals" carved out for them?
Oh, no, this quiz says I'm a terrible person. I should go slit my wrists or find some cool
people to make friends with who can define me as someone worth knowing.
SERIOUSLY.
Oh, and don't get me started on those "How well do you know [insert person's name here]" quizzes. No offence to those who have done them, and granted I do attempt a few in my supposed free time whilst I was meant to be differentiating
arccos(x) or some other useless function, but it's not something I couldn't have done without. It is such a ploy to play on even the most partially present, mildly self-loving traits in the best of people and turn them into Oh-look-at-me-who-so-many-people-know-so-much-about-and-if-you-don't-you're-a-loser-and-should-go-fuck-off-and-die, self-important narcissists.
In fact, the whole Facebook is slowly meandering away from its original social and networking purposes and becoming a whole new platform for people to promote and sell themselves as just another commercialized carbon-copy I think I'm Ms/Mr Popular like the next.
Give me a break.
I don't want to know which Power Ranger/McDonald's meal/season you are, or which car you might own in the future, keeping in mind half the world does not own a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Porsche and they are not that attainable, hence the accompanying status when you do. Having said that, do drop me a line when you have made your first down payment for the Audi TT because I wouldn like to go for a spin. You would take me right? After all, I AM your friend - Facebook says so - and even though I haven't spoken a word to you in the last 2 years online OR face to face, I am clearly part of your
clique well, just because I know more than 50% about you.
So for all those people out there who just invited me to try their quizzes, I don't want to. If I want to be your friend, I'll take the time to get to know you personally and not try to prove my worth on a few questions you created off the top of your head. But if you do happen to base our possible future friendship on them, then maybe I won't want to be your "friend" after all. Kindly delete my name off your FakeBook.
10:29 AM